Donate blood, and start saving Lives

Donate blood, and start saving Lives
Click here to join on facebook!

A message from the Founder! - to appear above normal contents!

"I have a rare blood disease, Sideroblastic Anaemia. In late 2007 my condition got worse, and I had to start regular blood transfusions in early 2008 which I will need every 3 weeks for the rest of my life. I was born in 1991 and diagnosed in 1993, at the age of 2.

For the first 16 years of my life I managed to cope with life. I couldn't do a lot of physical activity or anything like that because of the disease which caused me to not get enough oxygen but I lived a mostly normal life.

In 2007 my condition started to deterioate, I couldn't walk up the stairs to my classes, I was extremely tired all the time (so much so that some days I couldn't even go to school) and several times I felt like I was going to pass out.

So eventually in 2008 I went on blood transfusions. I require 3 units of blood every 3 weeks. It makes a massive difference in my life and enables me to live normally.

I am just one of many persons who need blood.

So I appeal to you all to go out there today and start donating blood!

Every bit is needed :) Kari Reynolds

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

June: Blood Donor Month.

Blood Donor Month.

"¨Achieving 100 percent non-remunerated donation of blood and blood components¨

Millions of people around the world owe their lives to individuals they will never meet – people who donate their blood to help others. But millions more still can’t get safe blood when they need it. World Blood Donor Day, celebrated on June 14 every year, provides a unique opportunity to thank those very special people that help and to raise awareness about the need for more support.

Established by the World Health Assembly, this day marks the birthday of Karl Landsteiner, the Nobel laureate who discovered the ABO blood group system. There is broad international support to raise awareness of the need for safe blood around the world and encourage eligible individuals to donate blood regularly so that blood is readily available for all who need it when required."
(World Health Organization)
http://www.who.int/worldblooddonorday/en/index.html


Blood Donor Month is celebrated every year in June with the main event being World Blood Donor Day which is celebrated internationally on the 14th June.

If you haven't donated in a while, this might be the month for you: when you are being celebrated:

We do not endorse the following articles from the SANBS, use at your own risk:

Can I donate:
http://www.sanbs.org.za/new_donors/NewDon_CanI_malaria.htm

Pre-donation tips
http://www.sanbs.org.za/newdonors_preDon.htm

Post donation tips
http://www.sanbs.org.za/new_donors/NewDon_Post.htm


Finding a blood clinic:

http://www.sanbs.org.za/Where_Donate/where_Donate.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright and permissions

Press releases on this blog, may be distributed, so long as attribution, in line with "Fair Use" is given: i.e. url/name/ date etc, or at least a link to the article!

All Rights are strictly reserved. Such permission, as we give: is temporary.